Full-size foot 1997 Thomas school bus for sale!
Located in Duvall, WA.
We purchased this bus 3 years ago to convert to an RV (skoolie) for full time living but have to stop the project due to a move. While we’ve put a lot of effort into starting the conversion personal circumstances require that we the sell the project.
This bus is the PERFECT start for your dream project! You could get a head start on your RV/camper conversion with most of the boring work already done, you just need to finish the inside to your specifications. This bus could also easily be turned to a toy hauler for motorcycles/dirt bikes/ATVs or a camper to take to festivals/Burning Man.
Major work we’ve done:
- Removed seats, floor liner, ceiling liner
- Treated the (very minor) floor rust and painted with rust-protective paint to protect the metal for the future.
- Installed subfloor consisting of 1.5″ of hard foam insulation (R-tech, R6) with 3/4″ plywood on top. Plywood subfloor sits on 2×4 supporting frame taking the load off the foam.
- Installed 1.5″ of similar hard foam insulation (R-tech, R6) in walls and ceiling to improve temperature stability and control.
- Framed walls and an elevated rear floor area. The original plan was to have the frame room be the bathroom and the bedroom elevated in the rear with 12″ of storage space under the floor (where the water tank, pipes, etc. would go). Though this can certainly be removed if you desire a different floor plan
- One emergency exit (over framed bathroom area) was replaced with a Fantastic vent fan
- Chain locks installed on emergency exits
- Shore water intakes (free fill and city water/pressure fill) installed
Advantages of this particular vehicle:
- Much of the prep work has already been done giving you a big head-start on your project.
- Particular attention has been paid to preparing the bus for the conversion since we intended to live full-time in the it. Some highlights include full treatment of the existing (minor) rust and installation of 1.5″ hard foam insulation in the ceiling, walls, and floor to provide for a more comfortable living environment.
- You can store and work on the bus in its current location if desired. If finding a location to do your conversion has been preventing you from starting, this could be a great solution. The rent on the parking spot is $100/month and the landlord is 100% on-board with the work being done in that location (that’s where we’ve done ALL of the work so far). The location is a gated, outdoor lot in a rural area.
- Bus has been in the PNW exclusively so is RUST-FREE.
- 1 School bus
Other items that could be negotiated for at additional cost if buyer is interested:
- 3kW Gas/LP dual fuel generator
- 40gal water tank
- 12v water pump and accumulator tank
- Small washing machine
- Corner shower pan
- 12″ sliding compound miter saw
The vehicle is being sold AS-IS. This is a PROJECT, not a finished camper. The buyer is responsible for moving the vehicle (if desired) or assuming the $100/month rent for the parking spot otherwise. We cannot deliver this vehicle, you will have to drive it yourself.
Price is $4,500 OBO for the bus. Some or all of the additional items (mentioned above) could be negotiated into the sale if desired. This is below the price we paid to purchase and doesn’t factor in the hours of work to get to this point. While this bus was our dream, circumstances change and now we have to move soon. Given that, and the unique nature of this asset, if you’re at all interested please reach out and start a conversation