Last updated on September 28, 2021
My beloved Skoolie is for sale in northern Michigan!
This is a 1998 Bluebird International 3800 school bus with an automatic Allison transmission, a DT466E diesel engine with about 175,000 miles on it and a regular (hydraulic) braking system, i.e. no expense-to-repair air brakes!
The bus has newer batteries, runs and drives smoothly and was stored indoors in the wintertime during my ownership. It’s in great condition for its age and is one of the more mechanically simpler models available.
This Skoolie is already registered as an RV in the state of Michigan. If you have done your research, you know that this is a huge plus! I currently have the bus insured with AAA at a $25,000 value and my monthly premium is less than $10. As this is a personal recreational vehicle, no CDL or other special license is required to get behind the wheel.
The bus is fully insulated and equipped with everything you need to live comfortably inside during the spring, summer and fall months in a northern climate; this has been my full-time, 3-season home on wheels for the last year and a half. With a bit of winterizing, the bravest souls may even find they can inhabit the Skoolie year-round.
At this point, all of the hard work has been done including insulation (professional spray and foam board), flooring, framing, electric with 120V outlets and 12V LED lighting throughout, hot and cold water plumbing, kitchen cabinet and countertop installation, wood wall paneling and much more. The curved ceiling has also been entirely covered with Plywood and is ready for finishing boards of your choice.
The sale includes the following items as pictured (and much more!):
- Like new Galanz retro apartment sized refrigerator with top freezer
- Furrion RV 21” gas range with 3 burner stovetop (Propane tank included)
- Cubic mini wood stove with brand new, still in the box roof “exit kit” to be installed
- Splendide 2000 120V washer dryer combo
- Bosch Tronic 3000T electric mini-tank water heater (4 gallons)
- Fresh water tank (15 gallons)
- Shurflo water pump
- Fresh water hoses and extension cords to plug in to 120V, i.e. regular household, electricity (240V converter included for use at campgrounds, etc.)
- Nature’s Head composting toilet with extra liquids container and composting medium
- Set of 6 adjustable window screens
- Custom cut Plexiglass windows that Velcro over original single pane windows for added insulation (and condensation control) during the colder months
- Custom-built dinette with underseat storage and adjustable height table (Unit converts into a small bed)
- Queen size bed platform with newer mattress
- Butcher Block countertops from Michigan Maple Block
- Extra supplies including:
- Electrical wire
- LED lighting
- Plumbing supplies (PEX tubing, Sharkbite push-to-connect pieces and tools, etc.)
- Primer and paint
- Tiling materials
- All-purpose rubber flooring
- Plexiglass cuts
- Various replacement parts
- …and much more! Too many leftover materials to list.
All of the above items were purchased (or built) within the last two years and are in excellent working condition.
This Skoolie would make a great home and/or adventure mobile for a solo traveler, couple or even a small family. You can build on what has already been done in order to suit your unique needs and lifestyle and give the space your own personal touches.
The current layout of the skoolie includes ample storage and a few open spaces that could easily be converted for another use.
Given the right location, you could also turn this Skoolie into a highly profitable backyard Airbnb (that was my long-term plan!).
So, you may be thinking: if this Skoolie is so great then why am I selling it? That’s a good question – I must admit I’m thinking twice about it as I type this! Well, I plan to spend a lot of my year abroad and hanging onto it just doesn’t make sense for me at this point.
Please get in touch with any questions you may have or for further information. The Skoolie will be available to its new owner in early October.