We are selling our brand new, fully finished school bus conversion.
Please visit our website abusnamedher.com for many more photos and many more details about this build – our story and why we are selling Her; why we chose to build Her with almost entirely non-toxic materials; the woods we used; the interior design philosophy; our temperature and moisture management approaches; and more!
She is a 2003 Thomas Freightliner, with an excellent bill of health, having been inspected prior to purchase, and again at the completion of the build, fully checked and serviced by a mechanic that specializes in heavy duty trucks and buses. We chose Her for her Southern roots, extra ceiling height, un-tinted windows, and mechanics that would allow distance and mountain traveling. Equipped with air brakes, an Allison 2000 transmission, and a Cummins 5.9, 24 valve diesel engine, she has 123,000 miles. Most of Her mechanics pre-date the electrical age, making maintenance and any future servicing much easier and less expensive. We purchased Her immediately following retirement from a public school system, where buses are rigorously maintained, and as a southern bus from Alabama, we were guaranteed to have no issues with rust! At 37’ long, with 29’ of living space behind the drivers seat, she is an absolute breeze to drive.
A non toxic, high quality, long living home was our priority, and nearly 100% of Her build is with non toxic materials – primarily solid hardwoods, stone, tile, and organic insulation. We did not use MDF, plywood, toxic glues, paints or foams. This is a solid build, a gem, and Her life will be a long one. Read more on our website about why a non toxic living space is so, so important.
While to each their own, we feel this bus is a lovely home, and most importantly, she is a healthy home. Everything, including the composting toilet, is still brand spankin new and unused. Read more about our story to learn why we are selling Her. We check on Her every few weeks, give Her a drive, and every time we do, we are overwhelmed by how lovely it feels inside – clean, healthy, happy, solid, and peaceful. We would be living in this tiny house had it been logistically possible, we do not want to sell Her. But, we will sleep well at night, knowing we are handing over a healthy home so someone else may live a healthy life.
Below are just a few of Her features, please visit abusnamedher.com for many more details and photos.
-Fully gutted, from ceiling to floors to insulation to glues to rotten caulk to windows – everything! Then, deeply (deeply!) cleaned!
– Though she had not a single leak, we took many extra measures to ensure waterproofing and critterproofing.
– Even with well insulated ceiling and floors, max standing height is still 6’3″ in center isle.
– Plenty of storage throughout bus (see website for measurement breakdown).
– Built only with solid hardwoods – poplar, walnut, ambrosia maple, pine, cherry – everything is rock solid, nothing in this bus budges!
– Floor plan and furniture design allows air flow so space stays dry and clean.
– Plumbed with a high quality stainless steel desiccant dehumidifier, rated for 1000 sf, (runs on about 3 amps) – you don’t have to dump water with this one! Helps keep Her cool in summer, warm in winter, and dry dry, dry.
– Organic Havelock sheep’s wool insulation – a natural, antimicrobial, fire proof insulation that does not mold, improves indoor air quality, absorbs sound, and is the only insulation capable of managing moisture.
– Entry way shelving above and below.
– Reupholstered drivers seat with durable heavy weight linen
– ¾” thick poplar hardwood floors, atop an inch of non-toxic cork insulation
– Galley kitchen layout, oven/cooktop on one side, undermount enamel sink on other. Each walnut counter top is 5′ long, 26” deep.
– Kitchen has doors and drawers for storage – soft close and magnetized.
– Built in electric Furrion oven and Furrion cooktop, designed specifically for RVs.
– Under-mount enameled sink with copper faucet and copper drain.
– Under counter fridge and freezer – total of 8.5 cf.
– Dinette across from wood burning stove, benches are 26” wide
– Dry and clean heat from 4 kw wood burning stove keeps space cozy, bolted through a solid walnut frame and a blue/grey slate hearth. Wood burning stove has built in heat shields, and is positioned with more than recommended clearance.
– Two sofas, professionally upholstered with durable high quality linen, just over 5’ long, thick cushions are legitimately lounge worthy!
– Inside 40 gallon water tank to prevent freezing with space under to kitchen sink for additional tank if needed.
– Electric hot water tank
– Bathtub and composting toilet that separates solids and liquids. A urine diverter goes to grey water tank so you dont have to dump a cup by hand. A diverter is key in keeping composting toilets odorless. aA DC 12 volt fan also vents odor to outside.
– Walnut bed frame, entire width of bus with slatted side for resting book, for climbing out of bed, or to expand for co sleeping with children.
– Two maxx air fans (kitchen and bedroom) for better air circulation.
– Two skylights.
– Everything in bus is electric, as diesel and propane lessen air quality and contribute to indoor humidity.
– 50 amp shore power system with Furrion inlet and comes with 50 foot power cord with 30 amp adapter.
– Whole system could run on 20 amps of solar, when not using cooktop (15 amps) and oven (20 amps). We have the purchase list fully prepped for solar. The price of the bus reflects the electrical set up.
– Additional 15 amp external outlet for patio lights and water pump etc.
Please visit our website abusnamedher.com to read about why we chose this bus. Each bus conversionist has their own needs and goals, and for their own good reasons. Our priorities were to build the healthiest, safest, most comfortable home we could, with an approach that would allow Her to live a long life. A healthy, long living, solid bus made with high quality and non toxic materials costs more to build, but will live longer and be less work to maintain.
The total asking price for A Bus Named Her will be $90,000.